Wednesday, August 14, 2019

July 23rd, Travel Day, Canada - We had a 9:15am flight to catch in Jacksonville so we headed to the airport a few hours before.  We had to catch a 1:10pm connection in Charlotte on to Toronto. The first leg of the trip over went fine. We arrived at Charlotte and in plenty of time for our flight. As we were barreling down the runway, ready to lift off, the pilot aborted the take off because of a parking break light that wouldn't go off. Thats when our trip took a turn for the worse. After sitting on the plane for a while they decided it wasn't going to be an easy fix and canceled the flight. We stood in a line at customer service for what seemed like an eternity. Looking back I could not see the end of the line so I guess we were lucky. We ended up finally being booked on an Air Canada flight to get us to Toronto which left at 6:45pm that evening.   American Airlines originally wanted to put us on a flight that left at 3pm the next day. We said no way. They gave us vouchers for lunch, first good thing that happened.  They told us to check in at the gate, to find out once we got there that we had to leave the secure area re-checkin for boarding passes and pass thru security again (pain in the ass).  After all that aggravation we had some time for a bite to eat and drinks, 2nd good thing that happened. When we finally arrived in Toronto, we got through customs and went to pick up my bag and guitar, we found out that they didn't make it on the plane. Theresa carried hers and checked it at the plane which was a good idea. After realizing the baggage wasn't going to magically appear that night, we went on to the hotel. After an all day affair, we arrived at the hotel about 10:30 pm, we should have been there before 4pm.

We checked the bar in the hotel on the way in to see what time they quit serving and the bartender said 11:00 pm, 3rd good thing that happened. We carried Theresa's bag to the room and went down to the bar and ordered a couple of appetizers and a couple of drinks, 4th good thing that happened. We stayed an extra dat in Toronto in hopes that my bag and guitar would arrive. It was kind of a nice restful day after experience the previous day except for trying to track my guitar and bag up the East coast. We ate at Tuckers for dinner, 5th good thing that happened. About midnight Theresa informed me that my bag and guitar had arrived in Toronto and that we should go there and try to get them. We caught the shuttle to the airport. Air Canada did not have our bags yet, they were at the American Airlines baggage claim, that's what a "snotty" baggage girl said at the Air Canada counter so we took the train to Terminal 3 where American Airline is and stopped at their information counter where we met another "snotty" girl who said the baggage was back at Air Canada. We started to go back again and I turned around and went back to the counter and asked "what in hell was going on!" Thank goodness a man sitting next to the "snotty" girl said  to calm down, he would help. He got on the phone and magically my guitar appeared, 5 1/2 good thing that happened, but no bag, that was somewhere between Air Canada and American Airlines, on some kind of moving belt, I think, so back on the train to Terminal 1 to Air Canada we went to see the other "snotty" girl again. She seemed pretty unhappy to see us again and informed us there was nothing she could do, but then another guy steps in and said he could help us. and magically the bag came out through the baggage carousel. That was the 6th good thing that happened. We got back to the hotel about 2 am. I took a shower and put on fresh clothes, YAY! We will meet Laurence that afternoon to head to his place. We arrived at Laurence and Barbara's, traffic was pretty heavy going and coming from Toronto for Laurence. We went to dinner at  The Whistling Duck , the food was great, we had a table right by the water, really enjoyed it! The next day we played at Arthur's Pub in Cobourg. We had a pretty small but nice crowd who wanted to hear our originals. The next night we played at The Thirsty Goose in Port Hope, a great place. I had a great time at both of these venues and would play at both again in a heartbeat. Sunday we got up and packed and went to the Big Apple for brunch with Barbara and Laurence. It was a good week. It had a crazy start but over all it was relaxing at the Stevenson's. Theresa and Barbara had some time to swim and we had a chance to get some more cool rocks for Laurence to bring down when he comes. Also had a chance to listen to some of the live cuts from last year at the Corner Bar that we plan on turning into another "Live At The Corner Bar" CD. Laurence dropped us at the hotel on Sunday and we went back to Tuckers for another great dinner. We had an early flight and arrived back in Jacksonville mid-afternoon. The return flight was pretty uneventful. It was a nice trip overall, thanks Theresa for all your patience. It's nice to be home.

July 31st, DAVE and Sue at Hurricane Grill and Wings - We had a great night! It's good to be back.

August 1st, Carpetbaggers at Corner Bar - It was Tony, Frankie, Sue and I. A nice crowd, played some good music!

August 2nd, 3rd and 4th, DAVE at Aunt Kate's - I had a wonderful weekend. I wish we had of decided to set up outside on Friday but everything worked out. They were calling for rain all weekend but it never came. At least I had a great two days on the porch by the water. Thanks Brian and staff you guys are the best! See you on August 8th!

It's been a crazy two weeks. I'm looking forward to getting some stuff done around the house, plus working on my two projects with IAUGI Studios and Retrophonics. I'm going to try and reach Barry (the busiest man in show business). Thanks for letting me live my dream! Stop texting, start talking! Don't liter! Smile in could brighten someone's day, even you own! Talk about the good things people do! Keepin' it Real!! -David

see you down the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
check out my upcoming performances here:

No comments:

Post a Comment