Tuesday, August 15, 2017

July 25th, Travel Day - Since the first time I played my Dads Hagstrom guitar when I was about 12 or 13 years old, I started to write music. It wasn't the "in" thing to do.  The rest of the guys wanted to learn the songs we were listening to on the radio. I was always drawn to writing my own. I'd sit alone or in the corner of a house party and play my songs. Fifty years later, I'm headed to Canada for the same reason. I want folks to hear my music. I partnered up with my friend Laurence Stevenson. We visited and played some of the most respected original venues in Toronto. We played three gigs in Toronto, one in Cobourg and one in Brighton. There could have been more people, we could have done things different, but that's for the next tour. To the people that were there to heard us, I hope you were entertained. I can't tell you how much I appreciated you all being there. It was nice to hang out with Shawna Caspi for a few days. She is a real talent, and a nice person to boot. That's a good combo, I'm sure she will reach whatever goal she sets! Laurence and Barbara, you were great hosts, you are two of the nicest folks I have ever had the pleasure to know.

July 26th, Dora's - What a great place. It was even better when we worked out the sound system they had. Mostly Laurence's friends and family plus the agent that booked us, Andrei Talbot. Everyone was real nice.  There was not a large crowd, but you have to expect that when nobody knows you. Some folks that came down: Kevin Marsh (radio guy) - Jim Rootham (knew the words to all the Gamble Rogers tunes) and Sandra Spencer (played a Hurdy-Gurdy). Also in the audience was Laurence and Barbara's daughter Moira and son-in-law Steve.  With the first night under our belts, we looked forward to the rest of the tour!

July 27th, C'est What - It was a nice place.  Laurence and I were walking around in circles trying to find the stage. One of the owners Brenda Atkinson was sitting at the bar. She noticed our plight and was nice enough to lead us there. We met Miles Lacroix (his DJ name Miles The Man).
He would also be the guy who booked us and was the sound man. He did a great job! Other notables were Jim Bailey, Richard Begley and Michael Fich. We took some great pictures before the gig. Thanks for showing us around Laurence.

July 28th, The Loft - We left Toronto for the first time since we arrived in Canada to head to Brighton today.  We stopped at Tim Horton's (Timmy's) to get a couple double doubles and a box of tim bits for the drive. This is a "must" when in Canada. We also made a pit stop at the Big Apple.
 It's on our turn off to Laurence and Barbara's. It's a pretty nifty place.  We decided we would try to get back and try their apple sausage the next day. We met Lucy the Lama. We hung at Laurence and Barbara's for the afternoon, then headed to the gig. Laurence wanted us to try Sakura Sushi, place in Cobourg that turned out to be great! We were joined by Shawna Caspi who would be playing with us for the next three days. The gig at The Loft was great. There were a few folks that showed up that had seen me in the states. Ken Drue, as always, was a great host.  John Tapscott did a great job with the sound.  We missed Steafan Hannigan.  He was in Europe touring himself. Also Perry Lictenberger and Paul Devlin were in the house. We missed Joyce.

July  29th, 78 On Main - This is one of my favorite places. Lori Dunn was nice enough to book us back. Shawna Caspi did a short set. We wanted Lori to hear her perform. It was a nice afternoon and we met a lot of nice folks. We also had a nice dinner. We headed back to Laurence and Barbara's for the rest of the evening  to sit by Lake Ontario with a bonfire. It was a special night, with some special people, Barbara, Laurence, Shawna and Theresa.

July 30th, The Free Times Cafe - We hung around Laurence and Barbara's for the afternoon. Barbara, Theresa, Shawna and I, all went for a swim in Lake Ontario at different times. Man, it was cold.
We packed then headed to Toronto to return the rental car and check into our room at the Crown Plaza. Laurence and Barbara picked us up and we headed for the show. A well known venue for the Canadian folk circuit. All the best known performers have spent time on this stage. Shawna and I shared the stage for this night trading songs. It was a blast. Just a few people but still had fun.

July 31st, Home Sweet Home - We cleared customs, then had a direct flight home on Air Canada. We were home by 3:30pm and decided to meet my Dad and Margie for dinner at Ned's. It was a great way to end our trip.  It's good to be home.

I had a great time in the North Country. Laurence and Barbara were great hosts. It was nice to hang with Shawna. She's very talented. I think next time I would like to spend more time in Laurence's neck of the woods. Toronto is cool, but I really enjoyed playing for the folks outside the city. I guess I'm not such a big city guy. Thanks Canada and everyone I met along the way (EXCEPT FOR EZ RENT-A- CAR, don't use them). I hope you enjoyed by music. See you next year!

Check out my videos on YouTube "Change The World" and "Living In My Head". Also check out my music on Spotify! Keepin' it Real! -David

see you down the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment